Friday, July 4, 2008

Trailer to Motorhome

We purchased our first RV back in 2001 just before Jenni was born. Our first real trip was to Branson, Missouri. We stayed at a wonderful campground out by Silver Dollar City called Compton Ridge. We have been back there every fall break since then.

Our first was a 32 foot travel trailer with four bunks in the back. We really loved it but it only had one slide out room in the living/dining area. There just wasn't any room in the bedrooms and the bathroom/shower was an extremely tight squeeze.

Next Tim's dad took a 5th wheel in as a down payment for a house. Tim purchased the trailer from his dad and we got an extremely good deal. We have loved it also. It had three slide outs and lots of storage space. The draw back to both of these was the travel to and from our destinations in the front cab of a truck. Of course as the kids were younger space wasn't as tight. Now Jessi is 12, Jake and Josh are 8 and Jenni is 6. We were beginning to sympathize with sardines. Oh we could have been fine another couple of years but it was definitely stretching the seams of our patience. Not only was space an issue but I'm sure most of you can imagine the fussing between siblings over all the stupid stuff.

We started looking for a motorhome this spring. Not really actively looking but keeping our eyes open. After the spring break trip to San Antonio, we decided that the time to get a motorhome was drawing closer not further in our future. We shopped the local dealerships. I'm not sure if you are aware or not but RV's that come from dealerships must have gold hidden in them somewhere. The prices they were asking for a 10 year old motorhome was ridiculous. My want sense was pretty high, but not high enough to fall for there sales pitch of how great their RV was.

One night while searching on EBAY I ran across a great looking motorhome. We had passed on a few before and Tim had dealt in earnest for a couple. None of the deals came through. It just wasn't right. I would have reservations or Tim would have reservations. It was weird. When I found this one I told Tim the next morning. "I think I found our motorhome." Of course it was Friday the 13th. I wouldn't let him make a deal for it. I told him if it was meant to be it would still be for sale on Saturday. Let me tell you the look of "she has lost it now" in Tim's eyes was hilarious. But he loved me enough to respect my hang up and waited. They delivered it from South Carolina the following Sunday! It was everything we hoped for and more. When I figure out how to get pictures on this thing I'll post some.

So now we will be able to travel without breathing down each others necks. Even Tim's dad thought we got a good deal. That is saying alot coming from him. The time we will save from having to stop for potty breaks should knock a couple hours off our trip alone. Tim is anxious to say "Someone fix me a sandwich and bring me a pop" and have it done while traveling down the road. I'm looking forward to being with my family and making memories that will last a lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"someone fix me a sandwich and bring me a pop" while going down the road cracked me up !! You guys willhave so much fun~~