Saturday, July 26, 2008

Our Day at the Beach





We let the kids sleep in this morning. Last night while I was at the beach with the little kids, Tim and Jessi worked on the laundry. So we are back to all clean again.


When we did get around, we headed for the beach. The city had the two chairs with umbrella for rent. It was $25 but well worth it. I didn't want to go buy a couple of chairs and umbrella. We wouldn't have room for it in the RV. The kids played and played in the surf. It was low tide so their were tons of sea shells for them to pick up. We got each of the kids boogie boards and me an air mattress. We sat there for about 4 hours. Tim even got in the ocean today. He also got a terrible burn on the bottom of his legs. He put sunscreen on his chest and back but not the bottom parts of his legs. They stuck out of the umbrella shade and he didn't even notice. He almost got the whitest guy on the beach award. He was in the lead until a couple of old guys showed up. I think Tim would make a really good beach stud!!!


I could have photographed and made a book about what not to wear to the beach. There was one grandmotherly lady that had on one of those white one piece suits that splits all the way down to the navel and has practically nothing on the back except the back of the pants. She was horridly pudging out of every open spot on the suit. Jake and Josh even commented how gross she looked. I have teased them all day that I was going to buy a suit like that. It was so funny tonight at wal mart they had one. I held it up in front of me and told Josh I was buying it. He wrinkled his nose and pretended to throw up. Later when they were acting up I told them I was going to get that suit and wear it every time they fight. They quit fighting.


We came back to the RV and all took a shower to get the sand out of every known crevice on our bodies. Jenni was the funniest. She said "uh mom, I have sand in my butt" I told her it would probably be there for days.


We rested a while then drove over to the Wharf in Orange Beach. Kind of a neat shopping area with a couple of restaurants. A Build A Bear Workshop was there and my kids didn't even ask to stop. Yeah!!!!


We then decided to go try LULU's again. This is the restaurant that Jimmy Buffets sister owns. We still had to wait about 35 minutes and it was 3:30 in the afternoon. It is really neat and well worth the stop. The outside has a gift shop, bar, sand play areas for the kids. Lots of chairs and picnic tables to wait at. They have live music at 6:00 p.m. We got a table right on the water. It is on the inter coastal waterway. Lots of boat traffic. You can even dock your boat right at the restaurant. There was a big sign that said she was going to be on the TODAY show Monday. I assume its for her cookbook or something.


Tim and I had these wonderful mango colodas. Oh my gosh. I was in heaven. We had fried okra and chips and salsa for appetizers. I had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" literally! It was so good. You could add anything you wanted. I had grilled onions and pineapple. Tim had another fish dish of some kind. He loves it and where better to get it than down here where it's fresh. The kids played and played in sand even after dinner.


Then we were off to Wal Mart to get some more milk, cereal and water. Tim is busy looking for our next stop. The kids are really getting excited. Now they know Disney is just around the corner. We will try to drive the rest of the way into Florida tomorrow only leaving a couple of hours for Monday's drive. I am doing another load of laundry to get all the sand out of our beach towels.


So this is the last post from Gulf Shores, Alabama. This really is a neat place. Not too commercialized but lots to do. I am definitely thinking this will be another vacation just in itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the swimsuit story - I was laughing out loud. Have an enjoyable Sunday drive!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bengi, I had one of those Mango colada's in Branson at the fishing resturant that we ate at on the water as well. lol, great minds do think alike !!your right, it was soooo gooooood !!
Miss ya,

Anonymous said...

OMG...there was a woman in one of those swimsuits at our neighborhood pool this weekend! She had no business wearing it either, and I was cracking up again...