Monday, July 21, 2008

2nd day on the road




Wow! Already two days into the trip. Today was pretty uneventful. We got up made coffee and Tim and the boys walked up to the little taco shack for breakfast burritos. He asked the lady last night what time they opened in the morning. She told him 8 a.m. At least that is what we thought she said. Neither of us speak Spanish and I'm not sure she spoke English. They weren't open and I had some awfully disappointed boys. We had cereal and pop tarts instead. Not quite the breakfast burrito but close.








We headed out of Canton, Texas at 9:05. Easy to get on the highway and we were in Louisiana before we knew it. Rita (the GPS system) steered us around the downtown Shreveport so we had no traffic at all in Shreveport.








We stopped in Alexandria at a Wal Mart Supercenter. It was listed in my Next Exit book as RV friendly. Well it was a mile off the interstate and road construction all the way and would you believe they didn't have a gas station. We had already gone through a loaf of bread and 1/2 gallon of milk. I also got some juice and fruit. These kids are snack monsters!!!! I had a basket of chips, cookies, fruit chews etc... They almost cleaned it out. I am of course rationing the loot. We had several people comment on our matching shirts. Jessi was dying of embarrassment. I loved it.








Rita (the GPS) directed us to take a state highway to Baton Rouge. We contemplated both ways and it did look shorter. For the most part the road wasn't bad but we did have to go over two really high bridges. One over the Mississippi and another big river we didn't know. Tim never took his eyes off the road. He really doesn't like those high roads. He has done a super job driving. When we got to Baton Rouge the interstate was really busy. We were barely moving for about 5 miles but then it cleared out. We are always wondering what the hold up is.








FYI We named the GPS just like they did in the movie RV. Theirs was Lola. I'm not sure how Tim came up with Rita, but I say its because when we get where we are going we'll have a big margaRITA.








I don't think I'm going to pick a campground the rest of the trip. This is really a nice place. Great beautiful lake, nice pool, and great site. However, I'm always the one saying I want cable TV and WIFI. This place has neither. Well the WIFI you had to pay for through the internet. Not very expensive just a pain.








We swam when we got here and had dinner. The girls and I played card games while the boys played the Playstation. All and all we had a great day. Tim had his first sandwich going down the highway. We had lunch on the road!!
Again I want to repeat how awesome traveling this way is. The kids have not once asked "are we there yet" They keep busy and Jessi slept again today. The set up is also awesome. Tim commented today what took us 10 minutes (and that is rounding up) would have taken us 30 to 45 minutes in the fifth wheel. We literally pull in, Tim pushes the auto leveling buttons, gets out plugs in the electric and water and we are good to go.

Can't wait to see where tomorrow takes us.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew that your new RV would be a blessing. Your trip will be so much more pleasant and feel like a real adventure.

So can you see yourself traveling the United States and not going home for months?

I think that I could. I love seeing and experiencing new places and seeing how other people in this BIG world lives.

Your kids are very lucky to be able to see the United States. Highway 10 is so amazing. If you have time to stop and see USS Alabama Battleship - 2703 Battleship Pkwy, Mobile, AL‎. There is also a submarine that you can go thru.

There are some great forts along that highway. Stop at one or two, it is very interesting. Daphne Island is just off of Highway 10. you can see dalphins jump in the water.

You can also go to the end of United States. There is a point that goes farther South than any other point. I think that is South of New Orleans. It is a very long drive. But a Wonderful Side Trip.

Just have a good time and ENJOY. I am so proud of you.