Sunday, March 29, 2009

New Baby Calf

OK so now I know why the cow kept coming at me yesterday. She was in labor! I'd charge anybody who was messing around me too! So this morning we had heck getting the baby seperated from the momma. We would chase them from pen to pen.

All of a sudden Jessi yells whats coming out of her butt? It was a hoof. Every once in a while it would stick out further. After 2 hours (not exaggerating) we finally got the two mommas in the far pen and were able to feed the little calf. She had been stealing the milk from the cow who was in labor.

So while Jenni, Jessi, Jake and I were feeding the calf Tim was over on the other side watching the cow. All of a sudden he yelled we have a new calf. Now what in the world is wrong with him. The miracle of life and he stands there and lets it happen right in front of him and never once told us to come see. I was so mad at him. I think that would have been very interesting for the kids to see let alone me. I've never seen a calf born.

So for the time being we are keeping the bottle baby separate so the new one can get the milk for itself a few days then we will see if that momma will take both calves.

Such excitement here on the farm.

I've spent the rest of the day working on my 350 shirt order. I'm exhausted and my back hurts. Josh is helping me. He is the best!

1 comment:

chadandkimi said...

Jessi's comment is hilarious. If she really is as much like me as I think, she's probably very glad she missed the gory "miracle of life" live show! The image of a hoof sticking out of the cow's butt is even too much for me. ugh!