Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hill City, South Dakota




We tried to get an early start this morning and actually left ahead of schedule. The drive was pretty uneventful but their was one mountain pass that got a little scary but not as bad as what we had been through. I'm sure hoping we are done with these mountain switch back roads.

We arrived around 3:30 at the Rafter J Ranch and RV park. This is a really nice place but all I'll say is they must be idiots running the place. When I called and made reservations I told them we had a 50 amp motorhome and inquired about the cable tv. Apparently, just because you aske and tell them you have a 50 amp motorhome they don't clue in. We were put in a 30 amp spot and no tv. What a great way to end the trip.

We got set up and went into Hill City. Now I didn't realize we were going to be so close to Sturgis and the big Harley Rally is just a couple of weeks away. There were bikers everywhere! It was kind of cool to see all the neat bikes and we all got a t-shirt. Anyway we had dinner at this cool little diner that had the best pizza.

After dinner Tim drove us up to Mount Rushmore. He didn't tell me we were going to go there so I didn't take my big camera. I wish I had. They had a wonderful lighting ceremony. It was really neat. In fact if you plan to go, take the time to go at night.

After the ceremony we headed back home and went to sleep.

No comments: